Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Smokers Littering the World

Photo courtesy of New Hampshire Dept. of Environmental Services

First off, I have to say, I am not a smoker and never have been. I detest the smell of smoke. And yes, this blog entry is simply a commentary!

The other day we participated in a “trash-off” day in our community to clean up trash along the roadways, creeks and parks. We had a fun time getting to know other people in the community and the town definitely sparkles a bit more. But, you know what was mostly picked up – cigarette butts! So, by the end of the day, I liked the actions of people who smoke even less.

Recently I came across an article - Seven Million Pounds of Trash Pulled From Waterways by Brian Skoloff of the Associated Press. In his article he notes - “Of the 7.7 million items of debris collected worldwide in 2006, cigarettes and cigarette butts accounted for roughly 1.9 million, the sixth consecutive year they have topped the list.”

Smokers, do us a favor and keep your trash to yourself!

2 comments:

Midlife Traveller said...

It's a strange attitude. When I was a smoker, I wouldn't ever consider littering with cups and other garbage, but thought nothing of stamping my butt out on the sidewalk. Why didn't I think this was littering? I don't know! Anyways, now that I'm not a smoker (quit almost six years ago when I became pregnant) I find it quite disgusting.

The Be Green Team said...

I don't get it either. Hopefully people will wake up and smell the coffee (once their nose has cleared from the smoke)!

Thanks for stopping by.

Karen