Environment Friendly Hotels. That phrase conjures up all kinds of ideas in peoples’ minds – everything from recycling to giving the option of not changing the sheets each day. Many hotels and motels have put some effort into doing basic efforts, such as giving you the option whether you want your sheets changed each day. We applaud the industry for those efforts. Some hotels even go a bit further and promote being “Green.” Here are some of the ways we found hotels, motels, inns and bed and breakfasts can be environmentally friendly.
- Alternative Energy – Use renewable energy sources, such as biomass, small hydro, solar, wind, geothermal and tidal energy systems for all or part of their energy sources.
- Bulk Containers – For amenities such as shampoo, conditioner, and lotion that are available in the rooms and bathrooms bulk containers are used rather than small individual containers.
- Organic Cotton towels and linens – Cotton products do not add VOC’s to the air, which in turn, improves guest room air.
- Recycling furniture and soft goods that they are replacing – Hotels are often replacing sheets, towels, bedspreads, furniture, etc. Many hotels donate these to charity or sell them to be used again rather than dumping them in the trash.
- Durable Service Items - Dishes, cups, glasses, mugs, tableware, and serving pieces that are long-lasting, not disposable make the hotel atmosphere a bit more elegant, reduce landfill and save the hotel money in the long run!
- Organic and locally grown foods – make for a much healthier, fresher meal.
- Water conservation – Some hotels utilize water efficiently by installing low flow toilets, shower heads and faucets and using smart landscaping techniques.
These are just a few of the ideas to practices to look for when selecting an eco-friendly hotel. If you can’t tell from a hotels website or ad, be sure to ask when you call. You may be just the encouragement they need to continue to pursue environmentally friendly practices.